> different meanings.  The free translation available on the
> website assumed the most common use of the word (I am
> guessing).  Spitzen means lace (to us) but was translated
> "tip" by the system.

'Tip' or 'Point' - think of the old laces with the deep, sharp
scallops - and Spitzen is actually a plural word ;-))

> But some words it just didn't know
> (annähen: sew on to, flechtspitzen: which I take to mean a
> braid),

If you can figure it out, try typing only the root word into
the translator. For 'annähen' this would be 'nähen'.
'Flechtspitzen' is a compound word, 'Flecht' (braid) and
'Spitzen' (lace).

> quicker that way...  OR, if you're really eager to get a
> good translation, you can type in what you have, click a
> button, and not one but two human translators will give you
> a clean translation for merely $49.95!  ; )

I can't promise a professional translation, and I am not fluent
in German, but I'd give it a try for free ;-))
Just a few words or at most a few sentences at a time, though,
not whole pages or even whole books!

Greetings from Beautiful British Columbia
Esther Perry