My personal solution is to get the pattern photocopied on to coloured paper,
cut it to size, then have it laminated - all at my local copy shop.  As the
lamination is just heat-sealing in very thin plastic, there's no glue to worry
about.  Also, you can choose whatever colour of paper suits your thread, so
you don't have to worry about getting coloured plastic.  The whole sandwich is
very thin, so it's easy to prick, and it's easy to overlap with another copy
of the pricking if you want to join them up.  In England, at least, it's very
cheap too.

Linda Walton,
(in Goosnargh, Lancashire, U.K.,
blessing the arachne member who first introduced me to the idea,
and wishing I could remember who it was).