In a message dated 11/20/2004 1:04:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

About 40  years ago, a lady gave the Metropolitan Museum in New York a
collection of  antique hand-carved Neapolitan (Italian) angels and figures
walking to
visit the Christ Child in the Manger.  I saw them the first year of
installation.  At the time, the largest artificial Christmas tree  made
to-date was
created for this collection.  It was placed in front  of a Spanish choir
screen,
where it has been erected every year  since.  It is very close to the stairs
that
lacemakers take down to  the Ratti Center.

Gunnel and I have been watching the erection of this tree which takes quite
a while, possibly because the donor and now perhaps her daughter are involved
in  decorating it themselves standing in a cherry picker. The donor also pays
all the expenses for setting up the tree each year. A charming tradition. The
 angels are already on it. But the figures were not set up around the base as
 of  yesterday. I have been told that the figures are set up differently
each year.
Devon