A friend of mine makes lace edgings and uses them to frame pictures.
The mat is wider than the lace, so it shows outside and inside the
edging as well as through the lace holes.  It's a lovely effect.

While most of my lace is samples (I like figuring out how its done, not
having lace products), I've made lace to edge the neckline or yoke of
blouses, a lace fan, Christmas tree ornaments and suncatchers (to hang
in a window, with a colored-plastic "jewel" that catches the light).

The woman (sorry, I'm blanking on her name) in the New England Lace
Guild who worked up all those samples from the Luton lace dealer's
pattern book used her samples along the top of pockets on blouses.  I
thought that was a marvelous idea for using samples.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
(formerly  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)