In a message dated 8/29/05 8:25:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I had a reply to the question of which reference book that they had used.
> Quote "The information we gave you comes from a book called "The Antiques
> Care
> and Repair Handbook" by Albert Jackson & David Day on page 192, hope this
> helps."
>
> As I don't have the book I'm none the wiser, but I think that Tonnie is
> correct so I'd love to know what this reference book says to make them so
> sure
> that these Mullers are used for lacemaking.

Dear Lacemakers,

I have this book.  Page 192 falls in the Textiles section, then subtitled
"Decorative Treatments"  These are briefly described:  Embroidery, Whitework,
Cutwork, Broderie anglaise, Lace, Drawn thread work, Smocking, Crochet.

Under lace, I will quote one of the four paragraphs:  "There are 3 methods of
making lace.  The finest is hand-made needlepoint, which grew out of
embroidery techniques.  A single thread was used.  Hand-made bobbin lace
involves
twisting and plaiting up to 200 bobbins around each other and around a pattern
of
pins in the lace-making pillow.  Machine-made lace was first introduced in the
1840s."

(Sigh!)  The inaccurate bad description of the bobbin lace technique - again!

There is no mention of "mullers" on this page, or in the glossary or index of
this book.  I also checked the "Glassware" section and saw nothing like the
"mullers" shown on websites other Arachnes have given.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center