In a message dated 1/27/07 11:07:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Carve
> your bobbins from toothpicks or wooden matches (unless
> you wish to pay the price of the miniature turned ones
> that can be found on eBay.)

Miniaturists:

Just some thoughts to get your creative juices flowing:

There are Japanese toothpicks that have a carved knob at one end and a point
at the other, so half the carving work is already done.  (Pretty to use at
cocktail parties, which will give a clue as to where to find them.)  You'll
have
to cut to the length you want at pointed end. Then, you can sand to a point
(like Honiton bobbins).  Or, my mini-bobbins have thread wound around the knob
end, and tiny seed bead spangles at the cut end on thread loops.  The drilled
holes in the toothpicks are very small - just large enough to put a very fine
threaded needle through..  You'll need fabric glue that dries clear for this
project to keep everything under control.  And, wash your hands frequently, so
the lace and thread stays clean..

If you make tiny lace for your pillow:  Make the lace with regular size
bobbins on a normal pillow.  Then, unwind the thread from the normal bobbins
and
transfer just a bit of the thread to the miniatures.

Pins:  Mine (less than 1/2") were bought at great expense from an archival
supplier when I was mounting a museum lace exhibit on covered foamcore panels.
The 1 pound box they came in is labeled "Major Brass Bank Pins, Nickel Plated
- No. 8".    Maybe there is a way to make from small Japanese needles used for
very fine silk embroidery.

Protect your eyes when cutting metals.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center