Direct Debit is different to using credit or debit cards - more like a standing order but the amount paid each month/quarter/year is variable. It's appropriate for utility bills etc, and better for subscriptions etc than standing orders which have to be changed each time the subs change (increase!).

Most organisations like direct debt as it doesn't get forgotten and therefore membership retention is better. I was on the Lace Guild Exec at the time DD was introduced and voted in favour, though personally I choose not to pay Lace Guild or any other subs by DD. Although I have no intention of cancelling my Lace Guild membership, once it's on DD you do have to actively cancel if you want to resign. However, it is a personal preference and many people do find DD more convenient.

Brenda