It is interesting to note that two of the class descriptions emphasize the
simplicity of making bobbin lace.

<<"Lace making is two easy stitches, combined in different ways,  to create
beautiful and inspiring pieces.  Come learn how simple and fun  the basics can
be and discover the joy in creativity, and the bliss in making a  timeless
treasure!">>

<<With a few twists and crosses of specially wound bobbins you  can
create beautiful lace that you can proudly hand down through the  ages.
Learn the basics of this deceptively easy thread craft in just a  few
minutes.>>

I completely understand the necessity for quelling the fear that most  people
feel when they contemplate learning bobbin lace, since overcoming this
rather formidable obstacle is necessary if you are going to have a class at
all.
Personally, I have talked a lot of people into trying it with such soothing
words. I have also been in classes where people arrive absolutely convinced
that
 once they learn the equivalent of a knit and a purl, or a single and double
crochet, they will be off on their way to making table cloths such as those
that  adorned their grandmothers' homes. When reality hits home, it can be
rather  ugly. I am thinking of two people in particular. But after the initial
realization that it was not yards of lace, but rather inches that they would be

making, they did stay on.

A question I have come to contemplate, though, is whether making bobbin  lace
sound simple actually attracts the right people into the class. Are you  more
likely to get people who are thinking it will be like a class at a craft
store, where at the end, they take home a splashy big flower arrangement,
rather
than a tiny inch of border, or possibly, a small fish?

On the other hand, if you told someone that it would take a year, or
possibly years to become anything like proficient, would anyone take the class
at
all? Is it better to tease them in, and hope that they will get hooked?

For some people, the complexity would be a turn on, and they might like it
better, long term. For instance, a blurb might read

"If you like puzzles, you'll love bobbin lace. Have other textile  techniques
ceased to thrill? Is needlepoint boring?  Like Sudoko  in thread, bobbin lace
is a challenge. Working with four threads simultaneously,  you will find out
why the laces of the previous centuries exceeded any other  textile in beauty
and complexity. Bring your thinking cap!"

Thoughts, anyone, about whether it is better to make it sound simple, and
get a class of people who are looking for simplicity, or make it sound
challenging? After all, in some walks of life, people are attracted to things
that
only "the few, the brave" can do, like elite schools and specialized  military
units.  In some ways, I guess it depends on whether you are  addressing your
blurb to an audience of low self confidence, or one of high self  confidence.
Alice is teaching at an Art Museum. Maybe there are people there,  who fall
into
the category of many I have met, who sign up for a class with the  comment,
"I'm a fast learner".

Of course, many of us, self included, are in an age group such  that, by the
time we can pursue bobbin lace, we are saying, "I used to be a  fast learner."
:-(

Devon

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID