Bev,
Knowing now what you do, how would you have written the blurb to get the
target group?
Devon

In a message dated 3/31/2009 12:39:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
walker.b...@gmail.com writes:

I used  this approach in a blurb for a textile festival and I think the
'puzzle' part  was off-putting.  There were no takers except 1 person who had
already  tried bobbin lace and wanted to attend a class of any kind of BL. I
thought  the target group would be attracted to puzzle-solving. Then looking at
the
other classes offered, I was wrong about the target group, they were wanting
an experience and to have something in hand when finished. 'Instant bobbin
lace' ???

"If  you like puzzles, you'll love bobbin lace. Have other textile  techniques
ceased to thrill? Is needlepoint boring?  Like  Sudoko  in thread, bobbin lace
is a challenge. Working with four  threads simultaneously,  you will find out
why the laces of the  previous centuries exceeded any other  textile in beauty
and  complexity. Bring your thinking cap!"

Note, we don't work with 4 threads simultaneously. When you examine  the
movements, they are one thread over another (or one thread under another  <g>);
often with one in each hand (so - working with two threads at a  time is true -
but that doesn't need to be mentioned until the class). Another  note re
differently
to the non-lacemaker! we should avoid using craft  jargon in an introductory
blurb.

I suggest not a good idea to  complicate the blurb with outside references -
Sudoko is not related to bobbin  lace, and someone who likes Sudoko puzzles
might dislike bobbin lace (I for  one dislike Sudoko...) - unless you want your
class to be comprised of those  who like doing both :)

Bobbin lacemaking is unlike any handcraft  I have encountered. I had to learn
an entirely new approach for my own way of  thinking. It wasn't a
needle-and-thread craft; a hook craft; a looping craft  with shuttle or
knitting needles.
It is unique in that respect, but it does  use thread, and nice tools, and it
produces a woven textile. It should not be  difficult to learn the basics,
from there the choices are endless. Further  detail might or might not be
necessary, but the newcomer could be interested  in the choices, such as the
myriad
of traditional laces from many  countries,contemporary designs, original
designing, small items such as  ornaments, lace to wear, lace to look at, lace
and
lace tools to collect, or  just to have an understanding of this beautiful
craft...

units.  In some ways, I guess it depends on whether you are  addressing  your
blurb to an audience of low self confidence, or one of high self  confidence.

This is the catch, so yes, it  depends on the target group and probably not
just a little bit of luck ;)

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver  Island, west coast of
Canada

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220439616x1201372437/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)