Dear Arachnids

I have also heard of teachers who show a technique quickly and say they cannot
do it slowly. We learn lacemaking with the left side of the brain that works
with speech and this transfers to the right side that does not. (Try
explaining how to ride a bike so that the person learning can do it
immediately, there is something you cannot put into words. The right side
works like a computer loop, so once you stop the sequence you cannot continue
from that point, you have to go back to the beginning. (Make a bow and,
without thinking about it beforehand have someone stop you in the middle, then
try to carry on). Also you cannot talk why you are using the right side of the
brain. (Again, try it tying a bow and giving a running commentary. The answer
is for the teacher to go to her book and learn to do the sequence as several
separate stages, with the words that go with them. Another way out is to show
the sequence and watch yourself doing it, then follow with the commentary.
Incidentally using the right side of the brain is euphoric - no wonder we
enjoy it. For more information about this subject read 'Drawing in the right
side of the brain', Betty Edwards.

Happy lacemaking

Alex