Hi Lesley,

Depending on how rough the surface is, you might also try using very fine steel wool to smooth them if the roughness is in the finish rather than the wood itself. If this is not sufficent, then try fine sand/glass paper as suggested. You should be satisfied with the smoothness before adding a new finish coat if you plan to do so, and apply the fine steel wool to the new finish coat if necessary.

Vicki in Maryland

-----Original Message-----
From: Lesley Blackshaw <lesley.blacks...@ntlworld.com>
To: Arachne <lace@arachne.com>
Sent: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 4:41 pm
Subject: Re: [lace] Seekng advice was: Pewter bobbins

<< I bought some bobbins on Ebay that have lovely old spangles, but the bobbins are new and have a very rough surface. They are too rough to use as the thread would catch, particularly when letting thread out or reeling it back in. I wonder whether anyone has any advice on smoothing these bobbins so that I can use them, perhaps using a fine wet and dry paper, but I'm not
sure if this would take off too much and change the shape. >>