Thank you all for your replies. I think that as they are very plain bobbins I might take Clay's advice and keep them for emergencies. I was very disappointed when I bought them but I'd already left eBay positive feedback as I got the purchase mixed up with another I'd made at the same time, so there was no come-back with the seller. I think the spangles themselves are very pretty so I'll probably put them on some more deserving bobbins.

Incidentally, I love using old bobbins and thinking of the people who might have held them, the lace they might have made etc. I get a lovely feeling of connection with them.

Lesley