Receiving mail from the USA has also become difficult and the extra
security imposed on packages at the border has beome onerous and
expensive. UPS charging $40 in brokerage fees and then the Canadian taxes
and charges of an extra $20 on a purchase of $75 of bobbins, thread, and
pins. And a wait of almost a month for delivery of a package that was
comming from less than 300 miles away.

I don't think I'll be ordering anything again from the US any time soon.
And yes, I know that the postal service (USPS) is not UPS but the custom
and brokerage fees when there is a terrorism scare are just as large.

International post is no better: I had a $20 British purchase of a bobbin
opened at the border (after a white powder scare in England) last year and
the handling, custom and taxes came to over $40.

In the quiet periods between scares, parcels clear Canadian customs
without delay and with almost never any additional charges.

I wish we could find some serenity. In the 1970's, the various European
terrorists (German, Basques, Irish, others) caused much more death and
destruction than today's terrorists and many more planes were blown up.
Somehow, I don't remember people, and governments, being so fearful and
frankly, paranoid.

International police and security forces are doing a good job of detecting
and defusing threat and / or re-establishing order. Notice the number of
successful raids in Europe and North America. Who was it that said "All we
have to fear is fear itself"? Was it not an American president?

I wish we could find some serenity. That's what I'm aiming for in the New
Year, that and a lot more lacemaking.

Lucie DuFresne
Ottawa Canada