From: owner-l...@arachne.com [mailto:owner-l...@arachne.com] On Behalf Of
dmt11h...@aol.com
Sent: Friday, 4 February 2011 9:05 AM
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] textile versions of Judith and Holofernes

I am researching a piece of lace depicting the story of Judith and
Holofernes and I wondered if anyone had seen other laces with this theme.
Also  of
interest would be embroideries depicting a chronological progression of the

story as exists in the lace.
I know of laces showing Judith and Holofernes that are in the Metropolitan
Museum of Art, the Cooper-Hewitt, the V & A (a lace picture), also one
depicted in the Subversive Stitch in the Fitzwilliam museum (a cutwork). I
have
 been told there is one in St. Gallen and would be interested to hear more
about  it.
Of particular interest would be discovering the source of the design.
_http://www.metmuseum.org/search/iquery.asp?command=text&datascope=all&attr1
=09.68.90_
(http://www.metmuseum.org/search/iquery.asp?command=text&datascope=all&attr1
=09.68.90)  will  take you to the entry for the Metropolitan
Museum of Art version. Click on it,  and be sure to see all the additional
photos of it, since it is a series of  scenes.
Devon