Great idea Liz, I might have to work on my skills with a roller pillow. I have a small one for my small block pillow but have tried it a couple of times but much prefer the flat blocks, it feels really unnatural to me at the moment.. I have taken that particular pillow with me lots of times and actually might take that again this time. I got inspired on a couple of small things I could work while away and now our itenary is coming clearer there should be enough evenings for me to work an hour or two at a time, making it worth the space and effort to pack all the bits. I had been thinking of a longer straight piece of lace but there is nothing in the pipeline at the moment. Thank you for your suggestion. Now I might have to practise with the roller and see if I can make it work, I know lots of you use them.

Do you work the bit at the top of the roller or slightly forward of that mark?

Just to show you how ignorant I am on roller, before I started taking lessons we visited the lace shop in honiton and spent birthday money on a roller thing!! No idea how it was meant to work or even if it was for bobbin lace or another type? Perhaps I ought to take a photo of it (it still lives in the back of my cupboard and has never been used), some of you are bound to know, LOL.
Sue T

Sue T. you obviously need a small travel pillow!  Mine is the size of a
handbag, and folds up with 2 small carry handles.

As it is a roller pillow, I can only do straight lace, - but it is
invaluable for taking out and about, and takes us very little room - even in
a caravan. (Been there, done that, for many years!!!)

Currently I have a piece of Early Lace from the newest Rosemary Shepherd
book on the go.  I only work on it about every 6 months or so, - but it is
always there, waiting for me to pick it up and go travelling.  I have a
working diagram pinned to the inside flap, - to refresh my memory when next
I open it up to have a go!
Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz.
lizl...@bigpond.com