--------- Sue T <hurwitz...@talktalk.net> wrote:
Now I might have to practise with the roller and see if I can make it work, I
know lots of you use them.
Do you work the bit at the top of the roller or slightly forward of that mark?

Yes, you work mostly at the top or close to it.  You want the lace to stay
against the pricking, but the bobbins' weight will pull it away from the
pricking if you go too far down the front of the roller.  And it's too hard to
see what you're doing if you try to work on the back side of the roller.

For this reason, the bigger the diameter of the roller, the better.  I've
worked on skinny rollers and you very quickly reach the point of having to roll
it up.  On a narrow piece (less than 15 pairs), you will be working just a few
minutes before having to pause to roll the work.  On the other hand, a wide
piece is also problematic.  A piece I'm working on now is 50 pairs wide,
torchon, and I can't finish many of the elements (diagonal bars, diamonds,
larger fans) without advancing the roller.  Then I have to roll it forward
again to work the next element to the right or left.  The roller width (the
height of the cylinder) and the pillow itself are big enough for the pattern,
but the diameter isn't.  This is something to keep in mind when shopping for a
roller.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com