Subject: Re: [lace] Re:  roller pillow and lace
From: Clay Blackwell <clayblackw...@comcast.net>
To: lynrbai...@desupernet.net
CC:

Hi Lyn...

I'm not an authority on pillows, by any means, but I think that block pillows
have probably been around for a very long time.   According to "Kloppel,
Kissen, Stander", the lovely book published by the German Lace Guild in 2002
(now OOP),  the Swiss in the Neuenburg region used a lovely pillow with sloping
sides on the left and right, and blocks that fit vertically in between.  It had
a wedge-shape bottom that raised the back of the pillow, and the sides  and
back of this wedge were often fitted with drawers...  to hold spare bobbins and
perhaps the roll of finished lace.

Unfortunately, the book does not give a date for this pillow, but it is very
old.  The Belgians had a similar pillow, but it did not have the moveable
blocks.  I do wish they had given some dates...  our best information for the
*very* old pillows (18th c. and earlier) must be through paintings of the
period in question.

Still, the roller pillows in this book seem to have been more widely used in
all other parts of Europe for a very long time.

Clay

Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA. USA