---- lynrbai...@desupernet.net wrote:
And someone else wrote that she had not used a roller pillow until relatively
recently.  I know the old pillows, Le Puy, for sure, were roller pillows.  As I
understand it, block pillows are a recent invention.

Mostly, yes.  Swiss pillows may be an exception.  About 20 years ago, a friend
was given a pillow by a 90-year-old Swiss woman whose (mother or grandmother)
had made lace on it.  It had a wooden base with a drawer in it.  Along the
sides on the sloped top there were pads (don't know the stuffing, linen fabric
covering).  Between the padded sides were three square metal trays, filled with
sawdust and covered in linen.  Modern "Swiss style" pillows were sold by The
Lacemaker (when it was in Washington and then when it was in Ohio), the blocks
made of ethafoam instead of sawdust-filled metal trays.

Granted, this pillow is probably only 100 years old and I don't know how far
back the tradition of this pillow went.  But it's certainly a lot older than
most block pillow designs.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com