My (limited) understanding is that side-emitting is not used for
telecommunications, but as an alternative to neon lights in lighting
design. It can colour-change and pulse, and is thicker than end-emitting
(3mm up to 14mm, from what I've seen). May be too thick for bobbin-lace,
but depends on the scale you want to use. If you can make a wire fence out
of bobbin-lace, you should be able to make anything (although I've never
made bobbin-lace so what would I know <g>). Just have a go! Using
alternative fibres/threads is soooo exciting. I'd like to do a needlelace
project (only there wouldn't be any needles involved) using barbed wire. I
think I need some leather gloves........

Have a look here:

http://www.fibreopticfx.co.uk/Side-Emitting-Cable.html

As compared with here:

http://www.fibreopticfx.co.uk/End-Emitting-Cable.html