Weaver here, and one who works with band looms and historic techniques. The
older term for “ribbon” comes from it’s woven structure… “rib band”, so you
might also see the spelling “ribband” in the older references. These bands
were often woven with a close-set warp and a weft that’s pulled tight, giving
a “ribbed” appearance to the surface of the band, hence the name. The picture
under discussion looks to me to be a simple tape, woven in a pretty much
balanced weave, of the kind that would be woven on a basic tape loom or with a
backstrap set up (not an “inkle” loom in the modern sense; that’s a more
recent style of loom, although the structure of the tape produced would be
pretty much the same). These types of tapes would be used for almost anything
requiring ties or laces in the household, so most households would have had
some means of producing it.

Katrina Worley
kwor...@mac.com
--
History: special people in special places at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time.