I agree that a few bobbins, not uncountable numbers, is a much less intimidating picture. Also a relatively clear pillow. Not a lot of pin cushions or tools around. Few tools or other paraphernalia in view.

I am demonstrating most Sundays at church so people have a better understanding of what is going into making the altar cloth for the side altar. I use everything on the pillow that I use at home, except the lamp, as 40/2 linen doesn't really need a lamp in full daylight. This is so they appreciate the labor and concentration involved. I also put a colored thread in loosely every Sunday so they can see the progress. "That's where I was last Sunday, and this is where I am today, and I work at least an hour every morning." Remember that most Americans have never seen bobbin lace.

If I were doing a demo to invite people to try it, I would do a much simpler lace with many fewer pairs, although 40/2 is a good thread to use. I would clear my pillow of all possible tools and extras, as they make the project look more complicated. The idea is to make it look like anyone can do it. Part of my 'patter' is the two steps of any stitch, and when I talk about moving #2 bobbin over #3, I stop to say, "Now you could do that, couldn't you?" And they always nod yes. Then on to the twist, and and a similar phrase, with a similar response. This shows them that they can do it.

Demonstrating is teaching and theater, and anything you can do to set the stage for the point you want to prove is a good thing to consider.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA where we are having appropriate weather which is more pleasant than usual. Right now no rain, temperatures always above freezing. Good time to see Christmas lights at night.