I set up the Springett snake because it gives an alternative color down the
middle and can be made rapidly even for new triers.  it lets them follow
the path of the bobbins.  it has few bobbins and i use a metallic thread in
the middle to give glitter to it which also is appealing.  i pre-wind
bobbins in sets and take at least 3 pillows with me so hopefully they will
take the time to work on it and finish it to take home.  i also make sure i
have a "bead" for the eye.  it is fast and is lovely.  if you have time
beforehand, you can make up some in the colors you take as "kits" and let
them work until they "have to go" and then just give them the one you made
in those colors and another trier can "finish it up" and take home the one
made by two people.  i like to send them home with something because then
they admire it and think "i can do this".  a list of supplies needed to get
started (only for this simple pattern as supplies can get overwhelming if
they "see" all the will eventually use as they develop can also be handed
out.  you also can have 3-4 triers doing it at the same time.

i frequently set up a card table at the library and give 4 people at a time
the opportunity.  i have 2 pieces of square thick foam covered totally in
cloth for triers and then carry 7" cookie pillows for 2 more.  light weight
and small.  my prickings are also prepared and pricked ahead.  i carry at
least 10 with me when i go to a demonstration.  i use a tripod table which
i can elevate for them to stand and see me work but also lower so i can sit
down on my piano stool which has a back and glass claw feet.  if i don't
carry my cup of tea, i can carry all of the above in one trip.  i haven't
made a cup holder to drape over my shoulder yet.  but the tripod has a cup
holder and if i can keep it upright over my shoulder, i can put my
spill-proof cup in it.  that tho is iffy.

one other thought is to start the snake and go until you have the bead for
the eye in place and let them go from there.  this pattern also lends
itself to roller pillows that have narrow rollers.  i make the same pattern
so i have a supply of finished ones for the next demo.

Hugs, Lin and the Mali
*Mistakes are beautiful.  Mistakes are part of the fun.*