I also can not claim to be an expert, but have made my fair share.  In the
patterns I have worked it is definitely "part of the experience" that you
will need to add or subtract pairs when going from one braid to the next.
This can be further complicated if you are using colors and need more/less
of one color from one braid to the next.  In looking for well designed
pieces a designer likely will have purposely put the "transitions" in an
optimal place.

If you ever feel that you want to learn about this in detail, I can
recommend Louise Colgan's classes.  She pays great attention to detail in
general, and is always very thoughtful about when and wear each thread is
dropped or added.  I have not taken from Sandi Woods but hear she is also
fantastic.
Kim