Dear All,

With "mock" fear and trepidation I dare to enter into a contribution
regarding your beloved hobby.  (I consider myself just a hanger on!)

My contribution is to certainly encourage younger people into your lace
making skill; but to limit it to what I would call "traditional" lace making
rather than "artistic" lace making is missing a valuable and creative aspect
to your hobby.

The nearest I get to using thread is my comparative new entry into machine
patchwork quilting.  Jean (my wife) has been a traditional patch worker for
many years  and we have always supported each other in our hobby pursuits,
but after I made 2 or 3 traditional quilts I said to her that I wanted to
move into artistic creations.  Her comment to me was "I think have created a
monster!"  :)

The point I want to make is that my move in this direction has led me to
creating patterns, learning and developing new methods to reach the
"artistic" goal, spending hours on U Tube learning new skills.  I doubt I
would have done any of that had I stuck to the traditional path.  Sure I
have not reached a level of skill to be able to contribute possibly
something new, time saving, creative to my fellow quilters.  I hope I will.

For all of the above, I am enjoying my new hobby and the direction I have
chosen.  That is the key to any pastime you may choose, are you having fun?

I think the point I want to make is that there is room for both streams. The
young (as you all will know) have minds of their own and if they are
attracted to lace making because they can use their imaginative and artistic
abilities, I suggest they should be welcomed and encouraged.

All this uninformed opinion is from a non-lace maker who is considered a
"monster" by his lovely wife!  :)  (I think she loves me really!)

Your friendly Monster

Brian