I don't mean that there is no room for the far out artistic in lace
making, and that we should stick to only traditional lace making. But
the conversation started with talking about having lost another well
known lacemaker. I don't know if she was also a designer of patterns
and/or a teacher, but if we encourage young people to go into the 'art'
of lacemaking, without encouraging some of them to become teachers
and/or designers, the art/craft will die out, we do need teachers and
designers. Not all of us can learn everything there is to know with just
watching youtube and then designing our own patterns. Not everyone is
capable of doing that.
Sure, there is nothing wrong with anyone going out and doing their own
thing in any craft, but if everyone does that there eventually won't be
anything to teach beginners, and you still need to start out with the
basics. Instructions need to be continually updated, mainly because
concepts and language change. Ever looked at any of the antique
instruction books? If you have never done something before, it is
virtually impossible to figure things out from these books, word
meanings change, the assumptions of people knowing certain things
change.  And if we no longer have teachers or books to teach the basics,
people will forget.
I am not saying that people can't come up with new designs,  they don't
have to stay with the 'tried and true' laces. What we need is more
people like Ulrike Voelcker or Komiko Nakazaki. They study all kinds of
laces, write instruction books on them, teach and come up with new
designs. Sure not all can be like them, but.....
We also need to encourage young people to 'just make lace' for the fun
of it, but the more traditional type, not the stuff made with ropes, or
cables, or .... They are the ones who will be buying the new books and
patterns. I really wonder if the stuff make with odd materials can
really be called 'lace', but should be said that it is 'lacy' or 'lace
like'. You don't call a sweater knitted with a lace pattern 'lace', you
call it a lacy sweater.
And most of the 'art' type items don't get sold, they may be displayed,
but if they are well done, they are too expensive for people to buy.
I'll never forget the time I crocheted a dress for a co-worker back in
1970. At the time I charged her $25 for the labour, which she was fine
with. i gave it to her at work, and of course got asked how much I
charged. When I told them how much they were aghast at how much I
'dared' to charge, until I told them that I had kept track of my hours,
I made about $0.30 per hour, and I wondered if anyone there would have
worked for that. At the time minimum wage was $1.50.
I think to keep our art/craft alive we need to encourage people to
become teachers/authors/designers, not just produce 'art'.

*Marianne*

Marianne Gallant
Vernon, BC Canada
m...@shaw.ca