Hi Susan et al

I have just made a foam pillow, so here are some suggestions:
The foam you will buy will probably be bigger than you want , so trace the size and shape on the top by pencil or felt tip pen. cut using a hot wire cutter, my husband constructed one for us. It is similar in principle to a wax embedder that beekeepers use; essentially a wire that is heated up and passes through the foam cutting it (think wire cheese slicer).

When the foam is cut to size you need to cover it. Ask you local friendly quilters for off cuts from their last quilt, you need the batting. Cut this to size to comfortably cover the top of your pillow. You may need a second layer.

Now cover the lot with plain fabric. You do not need to sew it, simply pin it in place or use hot glue.

I hope this helps

Anna from a chilly but sunny Sydney