Sort of like the bird species that has been all around you but you never
noticed before, I am becoming obsessed with the tally grounds found on some
pieces of Flemish lace dated mid-18th century. For those with the Levey book,
the first example I see is on plate 255C and D in which she delineates the
progression from narrow tapes to raised tape like edgings. In each case the
areas are filled with tally grounds composed of little square tallies in
profusion. Sometimes they are arranged in a diaper pattern. Sometimes they are
encased in other stitches. Unfortunately neither of these two pieces have made
it to the data base of the V & A in photo form. Paging forward in the book,
the next example is not until, plate 309, which is 171-1887 a Chinoiserie
panel dated second quarter 18th century.
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O82259/panel-unknown/
You can see the tally fillings in the lower left and the upper right of the
second photo, which is an enlargement of a man. This is considered second
quarter 18th century.
At the Met we have one of my favorite cravats, 26.283 which has nearly
identical tally grounds. Look at the third photo for a good close-up.
http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/222067?sortBy=Relevance&ft
=lace+cravat&offset=20&rpp=20&pos=21
Meanwhile there is another similar cravat in the Met which has areas of
snowflake ground performing the same function in the design as the tally
grounds in the other pieces. This piece 2009.300.3467 is considered early
18th.
http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/158408?sortBy=Relevance&ft
=lace+cravat&offset=0&rpp=20&pos=3
I guess that my observation is that I find it kind of odd that the Flemish,
who are known for their superb mastery of the snowflake ground seemed to have
deviated for a brief period into making fully realized tally grounds, which is
an area that the English excelled in. Are tally grounds something that Flemish
lacemakers tend to do? I don’t think I have ever made a tally in a course on
Flemish lace unless as a single tally in the middle of a flower. These
elaborate tally grounds where the tally non-proficient suffer endlessly are
usually in Honiton classes. But, then again, we don’t have classes in 18th
century Brussels bobbin lace.
Any thoughts on this?
Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10