I thought I would share this with Arachne.

On page 14 of Cluny de Brioude by Fouriscot and Arpin (not the Cluny de
Brioude dentelle polychrome) is a phrase "Pour obtenir une belle aponce .."
and goes on to say don't make picots and substitute plaits for tallies.   My
Google Translate app failed to translate the noun "aponce", and no amount of
research helped - it led me down the track of "ponce" being related to
sandpaper and smoothing things.

I asked a French speaking friend for help, and through her French lacemaking
friends, she finally came up with a meaning.   It means a join, as in when
you join by overlapping your two pieces of lace and sewing them together.  I
was given a quote written by Michel Jourde in an old edition of La Dentelle
describing this technique.

Noelene at The Angle
noel...@lafferty.com.au