Thank you Nancy, Jane & Lorelei for setting me straight!  And for keeping me
from making a major error at the library.  Unless there is some scholarly
objection, I think "early plaited lace" could work when referring to English
lace made in the 1500's.  The object here is to make a brief statement that
illustrates the long history of lace in Britain.  Opus Anglicanum was a
specialty there a bit earlier & it seems like a natural progression for lace to
have developed a similar relationship with the church in Britain, Bedfordshire
area or not, in that period.  I see that the IOLI library has the Levey book so
I will try before I buy!  Thanks again for your expert input.  Sincerely, Susan
Hottle USA