I raised this very question, not whether the pricking had been pricked or not but about putting in pins, when I did a course on Downton lace. It is the same thought, did the lacemakers put in pins on the longer rows of ground or not. I tried it and after putting in a couple of pins at the edge, I then went down the row with no pins until I got near the pattern. I then put the pins in because I was still learning and didn't want to have that as a problem to not making the lace correctly. I found that it was quicker to do that than put the pin in at each stitch.

As lacemakers also had to buy their pins which were expensive, perhaps we hear about them not using pins on the long rows of ground was because they just didn't have that many available. Do we know how the lacemakers got their patterns? Maybe they came already pricked and the lacemaker would start off with pins but as they became more accustomed to the pattern found that they could save both time and pins by not pinning all the way through the ground.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Malvary in Ottawa where we have a dullish but reasonably mild day (-2), but it is still early and time for some sun.