Maybe a chicken-and-egg thing? The books inspire the students who provide the
market for more books … but what triggered the interest in the 70s in the
first place - I’d bet on a backlash from the super-modern 60s. There’s
only so much bright yellow and lime green Fortrel a body can take. I remember
mini-dresses giving way to midi-dresses and long romantic dresses fostered by
TV shows like Poldark and that Trollope thing that went on and on that I’ve
forgotten the name of. In the US, “Little House on the Praire” as I think
somebody has already mentioned. The back-to-the-land movement, the energy
crisis. Long romantic flowing dresses, full sleeves and cuffs that were just
the place for a bit of lace.

And then the publishers start looking around for other books on the same
topic, and to re-print old books that have lost their copyright, and so on. By
the way, I took a quick look at Margaret Maidment’s book on ABE Books - it
was originally published in 1931 by Pitman & Sons, then in the 50s in the USA
by Charles Branford, and then starting in the 70s by a host of different
companies (Paul Minet, Batsford, plus others) and today it’s available
through a large number of POD houses. It looks like it might have been out of
copyright by the 70s, though that seems a little early.

Adele