Jo raises some interesting insights.
One thing she mentions is the crafts to leisure aspect. Originally there
seemed to be an ethos that one was practicing a “useful craft”. For
instance, you made a quilt because you needed a bed covering, or a doily
because every well kept house required doilies. At a certain point, I think
that the concept that you were doing this as a “chore” gave way to the
idea that it was a leisure activity that was fun, and might even be a mode of
artistic expression. Mass production really took the steam out of any argument
that you were doing this sort of thing because it was a housekeeping
requirement. I still recall that there was a time when people made their own
clothes to save money. But, when I touched base with a friend who taught
sewing about ten years ago she confirmed that it was impossible to make a
garment for as little money as you could buy one, and that most of her sewing
clients made their own clothes because they had unusual requirements, often
religious in nature.
Jo mentions that women typically left their jobs to have families in the 1950s
and by the 1970s they had empty nests. When I first went to lace meetings in
the 1970s, they occurred on weekdays,  running from 10 in the morning until
about 2:30 in the afternoon, because that is when the kids came home. Later,
in the 1980s and 90s with more women in the work place, this schedule began to
be problematical. But attempts to have lace meetings on the weekends and
weekday evenings didn’t work too well either because women simply had less
leisure time.
Devon