Wow Karen, (not something I often say).  Incredible and it sounds absolutely
fantastic.  I just wish we could see pictures of the finished dress and veil
and also the Mother of both brides in her outfits.
I haven’t deleted any of Karens email just in case the rest of Arachne
haven’t read this.
Sue T Dorset

For the past two years, I have been working only wedding lace.

I have had my youngest daughter’s “all or nothing” lace veil on the
pillow, after about two other years of planning strategy and drawing the
pattern. This was to be a 1.15 metre diameter circular piece worked in bands
for portability, but then joined while working other connecting bands. Now
things have changed and this veil is to have only the three outer bands
forming a border that will be mounted onto tulle. This is because she chose a
dress that is a slightly different ivory to the Piper’s Silk Ivory that I am
using and the dress also has chemical lace appliqué on it which, I feel will
not quite blend in with an “all or nothing” lace veil. (All or nothing
we’re always her words!)

Now, in order to create some cohesion between the veil and the dress, we have
chosen a tulle that is a shade in between the dress colour and the silk
colour. I will be using some of this tulle and the silk thread to make
flowers, which I traced off the flowers of the dress lace, and we will fix
these flowers on top of the others on the dress - sort of 3D idea, but the
flowers I am making are flat. So far, I am outlining the flowers in buttonhole
stitch and raising the edges, as is done with needlelace. I am also passing a
thin wire around the flower, which will also be covered by the buttonhole
stitch so that it will not curl in on itself.

Last year, Ilaria’s lace was on hold while I prepared a 10 metre border to
edge my elder daughter’s veil. I had only six months in which to do that,
because at first she said she would not be wearing a veil and she didn’t
want any lace either. Then she changed her mind! I used to work half a metre a
week, and only managed it because it was only an inch or so wide, but I formed
the pattern into scallops because she wanted a scalloped edge. Her idea was
for deep, scalloped lace, but I told her I was not a machine and would
definitely not manage it as I also had to sew four bridesmaids’ dresses and
my own outfit too.

I also made a flower to wear in my chignon, covered some of a bought handbag
in lace and made a fan in the last three weeks for myself. Oh...and I had to
work two 1.5 metre lengths of very narrow braid for the edge of my poncho-like
top as I couldn’t find a trim in the right colour!

Meanwhile, just after Rebecca’s wedding last June, I worked a modern piece
to put into a frame to take to the UK for a family wedding.

I also have a traditional Maltese lace piece (a centerpiece) on another
pillow....

Karen in Malta.