Other parts of Devon’s meassage have already been addresses.
This part:     “Is this hobby something easy to pack away (so my kids can’t

get their hands in it) and something I can pick up and leave as my free time
permits? I have some experience in crocheting but beginners level.”

Honestly, my answer would be “no”.  Yes, you might be able to pack it up
and put it away out of reach of 2 toddlers, but is it as easy as packing up
crochet? No.  But more importantly, if her free time is so very limited and
sporatic then I seriously question that she has the time to devote to the early
stages of learning bobbin lace. In my experience a beginner needs to devote a
fair amount of “consistent” attention to learning lace, and if not you will
easily find yourself a few weeks later asking “what is a cross?”  Maybe
after she gets comfortable and familiar with the basics THEN someone might be
able to “pick up and leave”, but this doesn’t happen with most beginners
for quite some time. Of course there are always those that pick ut up right
away, but then she has only “some experience in crocheting at a beginner
level.” I would suggest that she continue to pursue that hobby as it is more
easily picked up and put away.

My personal story.... my first lace class was with Betty Aldeson of Snowgoose
at a stitching conference. It was on a Saturday outside Chicago. My husband,
10y daughter and 21mo son came along. While I was in class DH took the kids to
the zoo. After I got home, I made one more bookmark. As a working mom,
everything got “packed up and out of the way”. It didn’t come back down
for 3 years when I found a local community college and the Doris Southard Lace
guild.  Still was a working mom. Didn’t devote much more time to lace until I
left my job and my son was in school.  So the reality is, that just because you
want to make beautiful lace NOW, it doesn’t mean it won”t happen later.   I
also do understant the desire to find a fulfilling hobby for your prescious
free time!

Anita Hansen

In cold but sunny Iowa!