Hi Alison,

Most of the UK suppliers seem to stock the Newnham one others have mentioned.
They are popular and will  take most bobbin styles.  Its about £25 from
memory.

I have two wooden ones. One is a manual version of the old electric one where
the bobbin is held at either end in a soft springloaded grip. This takes most
bobbins and is adjustable in length, but if spangles are large you need to be
able to secure them  back against the shaft so they don't hit the base on
every turn. I don't think it is made anymore, sadly, because it works well for
me. The electric ones come up on ebay or other second hand sales sites
occasionally - some people find they can't get on with them, a bit like when
you first use a sewing machine it can get away from you.

I have another manual one from Brian Goodwin where the bobbin is held sideways
against supports and tensioned with an elastic band very like the antique
ones. It is very pretty.   It works ok but the problem was over time it tended
to scratch the finish on the bobbins. Even lining the supports where the
bobbin rests with felt did not really help. I would not recommend it for
decorated or fancy ones.

I think some of the continental lace suppliers do nice wooden ones but I don't
know how well they work with spangled midlands. There's a Spanish electric one
on Etsy but again I don't know how adjustable it is to midlands.

Louise
In Cambridge, suffering the same weird weather!

Schlumberger-Private