I was born in Luton and lived lived there for my first 28 years but didn't begin to learn to make lace until 2001. Reading books and Arachne, learning about the Lace Dealers Pattern Book for the first time we visited the museum in about 2003 and then a couple of other times. We took my Mum with us one time but she was more interested in the straw hats which she knew much more about. Luton is also famous for making straw boater hats.
I have learned a great deal through Arachne, like many of us I expect
Sue T

OMG!!! I just found 2 things that I “physically” acquired through this list! They have been “lost” since 2003! I found them on our 25th anniversary!

1. The pricking of Miss Channer’s Mat that I won in a raffle Jacqui held through Arachne! I never ever win raffles and won that one!!! I Sooo want to tackle it but still need more bobbins!

2. The Lace Dealer’s Pattern Book from the Luton Museum! Everyone in Arachne worked so hard to preserve the samples from Thomas Lester’s Lace Pattern Book, and to get the facsimile book produced so we could turn to it without having to go to the Luton Museum! Seemed like it took forever then suddenly it was offered to us. They mention Arachne in the book and mention how we brought worldwide interest to the conservation work.

As a group we should recognise how deeply we have impacted the world of lace. It has been a very good and productive 25 years.

Cearbhael

Sent from my iPhone