Hi Devon:

I took a quick look at Kristensen’s “Tønder Lace: About Lace-making History in
Western Sønderjylland from the 17th Century till Today”, and I have are a
couple of thoughts for you:

First, the lacemakers weren’t following a set traditional style of lace; they
were making what was fashionable and would sell well, and over the centuries
they were quick to make Binche, or Arras, or whatever was in vogue.

On p. 30 of the Kristensen book, 1800 is given as the date when Lille lace
became popular in Sønderjylland; they began to make it and it is from Lille
lace that the Tønder lace we recognize today, evolved.

Also on page 30 of the book, there is a photo of a Tønder lace pattern,
“Strawberry”, that to my eyes has many things in common with your piece. The
filling, the tallies grouped in the background, and the look of the cloth
stitch all seem to me to be quite like the closeups you have on the IOLI Ning
site.

If you look at the straight edge of your piece, that edging, taken on its own,
has the orderly appearance that we are used to seeing in Tønder lace today. The
rest of the design is odd to our eyes, but how often have we seen Tønder lace
that attempted to fill in a wide space, rather than just an edging? I know I
haven’t seen any attempt at a yardage design other than plain net with little
sprigs on it. Maybe it was common at the time, maybe it was something that was
tried and didn’t last, or maybe you just happen to have a piece that was a bit
of an experiment. As you say, it does look like Pottenkant.

Hope this helps.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)