On Sep 2, 2009, at 2:44 AM, Adrian Lang wrote:

I say we should not try to distinguish between resends and replies
(in the database or user interface).

What about in machine-readable output streams? I ask since I just looked over a patch I actually like from Toby Inkster[0] wherein repeated notices have additional semantic metadata associated with them in RSS 1.0 and Atom feeds. It doesn't alter the database or user interface in any way, but it does add some useful metadata all the same.

First of all, the difference
between these concepts is far from clear when resends may be edited.
Second, I see no gain from doing this. Displaying both types of
reactions in a conversation and with in_context link seems perfect to
me.

This is not related to content-band signaling using for example a resend
symbol.

Regards,
Adrian

For what it's worth, I'm in agreement with you that there doesn't seem to be a benefit to an end-user to visually distinguish between repeated notices or replies (♺ vs @ is already enough), and the less cognitive clutter users need to deal with, the better. The first thing I do when I see a lot of buttons is touch none of them. :)

Cheers,
-Meitar Moscovitz
Personal: http://maymay.net
Professional: http://MeitarMoscovitz.com