On Sep 2, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Sarven Capadisli wrote:

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 21:42 +0100, Toby Inkster wrote:
* A convention could be established using hashtags to indicate
languages. I've done a little experimentation and think that #.en,
#.fr, #.pl, etc might be a good pattern to use. Of course, right now,
the dots are canonicalised out.

I really like this idea, because it is pretty simple. But, I wonder if
it brings us back to the idea of providing meta-data for notice items.
For instance, do we make exceptions to marking reviews, geo, events,
languages etc., or do we do adapt machine tags? or both?

In any case, we can could always make #. an exception to the hashtag
rule.

-Sarven

Does this mean I'll begin to see #.lang in a bunch of notices? Although I think providing language indications could be a huge win, I'm not sure I like the hashtag exception idea.

Also, IIRC, StatusNet allows me to indicate my preferred language in my account settings. Perhaps it makes more sense to use this proposed hashtag exception for exceptions to this language only. I.e., if my preferred language is "English," then only when I send a notice in, say, German, would I include #.de as a hint. Otherwise, notices could be rightfully assumed to be in that preferred language, and so language metadata could just be included transparently.

(And also, if this was already the proposal but I didn't read it as such then, my bad. I'm just getting my coffee today….)

Cheers,
-Meitar Moscovitz
Personal: http://maymay.net
Professional: http://MeitarMoscovitz.com