On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:05 PM, James Walker <wal...@walkah.net> wrote:

> Hey laconica^Wstatusnet dev! Long time lurker, first time caller ;-)
>
> 2009/9/11 Evan Prodromou <e...@status.net>:
> > So, what would it take to build a lightweight photo-sharing service like
> > Flickr using StatusNet? I don't think very much. Since we allow file
> > uploading, you could have a notice per photo (notice text provides the
> > description), and "comments" would just be replies.
>
> As a long-in-the-tooth Drupal developer (who was at one time
> responsible for a bunch of the Drupal code that folks were using to
> s/Flickr/Drupal/), I would like to say:
>
> Resist the temptation to have StatusNet do it all (tm). This is
> currently a nice piece of software that is on the right track towards
> being a great micro-messaging tool.

While I support Walkah's point — and worry that feature expansion could lead
to dangerous distraction (especially if we don't start with the UI first), I
can see how attachment could be very useful, considering both Yammer's
approach to file sharing (basically as attachments/enclosures in the
ATOM/RSS sense) and this little app I found called Freshlog:

http://freshlog.com/

Basically you can imagine being able to toss up images into your stream —
from an app or from a mobile device — and that it would constitute your
status.

Rather than worry about the Flickr API, it seems that XML-RPC and SMTP would
be better approaches to getting images into the system, no?

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate