<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the northern lands where the air is cold ( it is -7 degrees as I write
this) a common procedure is to slit the top of the oil breather line as it
exits the engine crankcase.  In fact on Lake Buccaners, the slit is
required.

Moisture from the crankcase condenses and freezes at the very end of the
breather line where it is exits the cowling.  In some cases the ice
formation completely clogs the breather line causing the crank seal to blow
out resulting in loss of engine oil.  The reason for the slit in the
breather line is to allow an alternate pressure relief.  Higher time
engines with a lot of blow by may also contribute to this problem.

My Lancair 360's  oil breather line never exits the cowling.  It terminates
1 1/2"  above the exhaust pipe where it is warm.  Any oil or sludge that
gets by the air/oil separator drips onto the exhaust pipe and vaporizes
rather than messing the bottom of the fuselage. In my Lancair the slit is
not required.

Thanks Scott Krueger for bringing this important construction detail to our
attention.

Jim Frantz

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]