<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike S. Reinath"

> My question is what to set the idle RPM to. Currently, if I pull the
> throttle out all the way, the RPM drops below 600 and the engine
> starts to die. What should the idle RPM be set to? Is 800 okay?

Mike, good luck with your inspection.

I have found the Sky Ranch Engineering Manual by John Schwaner to be a great
source of engine information.  On page 137 he says " Many of your engine
parts, including cylinder walls, pistons and rings, and cam and cam
followers are splash lubricated.  An idle speed of 1100 is necessary with
cold oil to create sufficient splash." He also suggest keeping the RPM below
"1200rpm until oil pressure is at or above minimums."

I have my stop set for 900 RPM and that seems to work well for me.

Gary Melton
N320GG

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]