<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mike,

I'm no engine expert, but I have talked extensively to the shop that
overhauled my engine about these issues.  The idle speed is not critical.
My engine will not idle smooth at 600 rpm.  Adjust the idle speed screw
so that you get a least 600 rpm., or a speed at which your engine will
idle smoothly.  My engine, with a light wood propeller, won't idle
smooth below 800 rpm.  In addition, idling below 1000 rpm for extended
periods of time increases the likelihood of fouling your plugs.
However, the higher your idle rpm, the faster your aircraft will taxi
and you must apply more breaking to hold your taxi speed to something
reasonable.

Use your mineral break in oil for new or overhauled cylinders for at
least 50 hours.  Switch to Ashless Dispersant oil after the initial break-in.
Monitor your break-in oil consumption.  Your oil consumption rate
should improve during the first 50 hours.  I don't recall the specific
rates but I believe 1 quart every 20 to 25 hours is reasonable after
break-in.

Check and clean your plugs every oil change as well. They will tell you
about the health of each cylinder.  If any of your top plugs are oily,
that cylinder may be having break-in problems.

There is lots of information on the Web about all of this.  Good luck on
your first flight.

Don

>>From: Mike S. Reinath
What should the idle RPM be set to? Is 800 okay?<<

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]