<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Matt,

You wrote:

<<I am thinking static buildup.  Any other thoughts?  Are static wicks the
only solution?  How difficult to add to a 360 - not painted yet but in very
nice primer??>>

My experience, over 1.5 years, of flying with WLS primer was that it allowed
static buildup under any conditions.  So much so that I could get a Loran
unit to work on the ground, but it always lost communication very soon after
being airborne.  If I would wipe my hand across the cowl, the hair would
stand up on my arm.  Generally, the problem went away when the plane was
painted.  However, by that time I had installed a GPS in place of the Loran.

I am currently writing a story about my flight to the Reno Air Races and the
return in heavy IFR conditions where, among other things, I experienced
sharp discharge noises in my headset, occasional VHF whine and ATC
communication difficulties, AOA going wild, disconnects of my Auto Pilot,
and loss of the GPSS-A/P GPS guidance from time to time.  Was it merely
simple static or unusual electrical properties in the cold clouds?  I had
never encountered such a strong effect before!

Scott Krueger
N92EX

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]