On Fri, 12 May 2006, Luiz Americo wrote:

I did more tests, all give comparable results: sqlite is very fast for simple stuff.

Your results are comparable from one made without index published in sqlite wiki, but when using index, according to the test, sqlite compares to the other.

Obviously, I have created the same indexes in all 3 databases.

See: http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=SpeedComparison
And yes, I did all possible optimizations. Version 3 was used.
I have a lot of experience with databases of all kinds, and I know what to test for.

Please post the database schema, no of records, indexes, so i can reproduce and publish in a site.

I'll send it in private if you want, but you don't have permission to publish
it.
(my contract with the journal's editor forbids that)

As i said, sqlite requires some hand SQL optimizations. You can see here:
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=PerformanceTuning
http://web.utk.edu/~jplyon/sqlite/SQLite_optimization_FAQ.html

If you're using Windows take read this

It was all on Linux.

Look, I appreciate the effort you are doing to promote sqlite, but as long
as they don't do type checking, it's out for me. The speed issue is of
secundary importance because at best you get similar results as the
other 2 databases.

Currently, I would order them as follows for use as _embedded_ databases,
taking into consideration ease of use and speed:

- Firebird is best: scores good in both areas.
- Then SQLite (ease of use: very good. Speed: YMMV...)
- Then MySQL (speed is very good, but ease of use: -infinity !)

I still need to test Advantage Database Server and NexusDB
(the former Turbopower's FlashFiler)

Michael.