[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have done something similar in windowze and delphi...

which accept a path/filename to use the files in the VFS, for example

I have a suggestion, but first I need to know.

How do you regularly access (open, read, write) O.S. files ?

As streams (MyStream.Open, MyStream.Close) ?

As File pointers (FileAssign, Reset, Rewrite) ?

There is no specific amount of times I use any other of these, it needs to be kind of generic, like a normal file system. What I'm trying to do is create something for FPC/Lazarus which is similar to a SFS (Single File System) so all files are stored as a byte stream in a single file. But the files can be accessed as normal by standard pascal calls. I can easily get the files out the single file as a byte stream but it is then how to use that byte stream with other functions etc. that do not take TStream as input.

Any ideas you have or have previously implimented would be great to hear.

I know of one option but it is very difficult and that is to write a driver for Win32 and Linux to allow proper OS access to the SFS... Then they would work like native files.

Just my 2 cents...

maramirez