Mattias Gaertner wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:44:29 +0200
"George Birbilis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ignoring the font dialog since it's another thing (it has
preview which covers the needs of the user a bit), the font
name property editor (it shows a drop-down list, could show
an owner-drawn one instead) would be the thing to change
(once for all platforms I suppose). BTW, speaking of many
platforms, how does Lazarus support "fonts" crossplatform?
(does it delegate the burden onto the OS ? [since there is
raster/bitmap fonts, TrueType, OpenType, PostScript etc.
fonts that one could support)
I know in Delphi one uses owner-drawn list to draw their own items
(in fact I had suggested Delphi Object Inspector do that many years
ago at Delphi newsgroups, when we had plain text dropdown lists even
for color names), but what is used in Lazarus? Is it the same scheme
or something that is maybe more crossplatform? Any online text about
it?

The LCL provides a Delphi compatible TFont.
The widgetsets searches the nearest font.
The gtk interface also understands XLD font names, where the
font name is a 15 attribute filter.
So, basically you can select every available font under windows and
under gtk/X. But they are not cross platform.

The OI combobox is custom drawn, so it would be possible to draw every
font. But afaik this would be quite slow and needs a lot of resources.

I think only the fonts displayed need to be drawn (so max 8 ?) :)

But these things should be well thought when implemented.

I've installed over 1000 fonts and not all software displaying fonts has implemented this properly (IE, they try to load them all)

Marc