Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Micha Nelissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> IMHO, a custom drawn widgetset is never better; as user I would refuse
>> to use it, unless forced to.
>>

> Tell that to all the KDE or Qt users out there!  I really don't get
> this argument? Why wouldn't you?

If I am a KDE user, then any Qt app will appear native to me; so I don't
get your point ?

> Think of what a widget set is (referring to the visual aspects only).
> It's a set of drawing instructions, to paint a component on a canvas.
> It's that simple. Now if you take the time with a custom written
> widget set, you can paint exactly like that. The end-user wouldn't
> even know.

This is simply too naive. You can see the difference, although it might
only one be pixel.

> the title bar (because the app was running under Linux). I believe
> later versions of QThemed actually hooked into the themes engine of
> WinXP, to do the painting without the need for composite images.

Using WinXP theming engine is indeed possible, but will blow up your
binary size, since you are including two painting engines then; regular
windows and windows xp. Windows Vista is going to be different still,
quite possibly.

> Implementing themes like Win2000, Win98 or Motif is even easier.

I haven't yet seen a good emulation of those, though.

>> > Changing only the painting backend is much easier (100s of times) then
>> > writing a new widgetset interface.
>>
>> Of course it's easier; but IMHO it's also ugly/uglier.
>
> Uglier than the current LCL interface?  With units like gtkproc or
> gtkwinapi, etc.   ;-)

gtkproc is probably helper procedures, gtkwinapi is implementation of
common winapi functions for gtk ... Still I was talking about ugly in
the UI aspect, not necessarily the implementation. The gtk interface is
not pretty, and needs some cleaning, but that's life of any software
project in the long run.

Micha