It seems, gtk_pixmap is creating the disabled image on-the-fly on first
paint. So, the flickering is built-in. Because you change the image
often, you see it often.
Conclusion:
gtk1+TBitBtn+disabled = flicker
So the short version is - that GTK1 couldn't do what I needed (a
dynamically updated but often disabled set of buttons with pictures on
them) without creating a new component. It turned out to be far less
work to just port this part of the program to GTK2, the rest remains
GTK1 for now (there are three apps that make up the suite here) simply
because fixing all the layouts etc. for GTK2 would take a LONG time
(and worst of all GTK2 is still horrible with Z-order handling) but
this part works just fine under GTK2 - and as per your predictions,
the GTK2 version is completely flicker free.

For the next OutKafe release (which I will start on after I return
from this project on Friday) I will port it to GTK2 in it's entirety
(it can be done now that SetWindowFulScreen works for GTK2) however.
A.J.
--
A.J. Venter
CEO - OutKast Solutions C.C.