David Lyon wrote:
Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, this is an absolute must for inclusion in Lazarus
by default. It would ensure that lazarus covers all areas of modern
development. (if such a thing exists...)
When I made my "modern" comment, I actually meant it with students in mind. Who sometimes hear that pascal is an "old" language.

So saying "modern" implies that it is like Python or C# or Java etc..

Having XML/RPC/Webservices inbuilt would be a good step.....

The other big issue, something that delphi suffers from bigtime, is package-management.

Having worked with Perl, they really do a wonderful job of package management.

That is, if you want say, a ups library, type in "ppm search ups". It gives you a list of modules. To install one, you say "install 2" (install the second module on the list). Bingo, it now works....

Being open source, Lazarus really lends itself to doing the same thing. That's an example of a really "modern" feature.

This one just takes time to implement, but perl does it really nicely. In delphi, it can take so long to find code to do something. They are way behind perl in that respect. So it is an opportunity I believe...

AFAICT there are two issues here;

1) package management is currently being developed under FPC (see fppkg and fpmkunit and http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPMake). It will consist of a "repository" with downloadable packages for FPC. This could be extended easily in the near future for Lazarus. But it will be a long way still. 2) Lazarus only supports static packages. So installing a package would always require to recompile Lazarus. I have no idea what the progress on this topic is. Perhaps the wiki has something on it, or someone from core can comment.

Darius